This is one of my favorite sea palm recipes and a great way to get more seaweed into the diet. It can be made with almost any vegetables you may have at the moment, so the variations are endless!
Makes 4 servings.
- • 1 oz. dried Sea Palm fronds + 3/4 cup water
• 1½ cups rice + 3 cups water
• 3 tbsp. coconut oil or ghee
• 1 medium yellow or red onion
• 2 cups winter squash, peeled and cubed into bitesize pieces.
• 1 red sweet pepper, sliced in thin strips
• 2 cups broccoli
• 2 cups cauliflower
• 1 cup chopped kale greens
• ½-1 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
• 1-2 cups cooked chicken meat, cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
• 4-6 tsp soy sauce
• 2-4 tsp lemon juice
• additional ghee, coconut oil, toasted sesame oil or olive oil
Put Sea Palm in a small covered pot with hot water. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat, while you prep the vegetables. Take the lid off for the last 5 minutes to evaporate most of the broth, but watch closely so it does not burn!
Set the cooked Sea Palm aside, and start cooking the rice and stir-frying the vegetables.
Heat the coconut oil or ghee in a wok or cast-iron frying pan and stir-fry the onion, squash and red pepper for 10 minutes on medium heat. Cover with a lid in between stirrings.
Add the broccoli, cauliflower, fresh grated ginger and greens and stir-fry for an additional 10 minutes.
Now add the cooked Sea Palm fronds and chicken meat and stir-fry briefly, until heated.
Season just before serving with soy sauce and lemon juice, and add extra ghee, coconut oil, toasted sesame oil or olive oil if desired.
Serve with rice.